Software testing is an activity aimed at evaluating an attribute or capability of a program or system and determining that it meets its required results. The difficulty in software testing stems from the complexity of software. Testing is more than just debugging. The purpose of testing can be quality assurance, verification and validation or reliability estimation. Testing can be used as a generic metric as well.
In this article, we came up with an Automation Feasibility Checklist (AFC) which would be helpful for effective and efficient automation testing.
Manual Test case is the entry point for any automation, but there are some criteria which hinders the automation process which includes:
- Lack of clarity in test steps
- Lack of test data
- Traceability coverage
- Identification of Dependencies/Pre-requisites of test cases in a business scenario
- Presence of logical closure
It is better to identify these problems earlier so that it can reduce the effort in manual execution thereby pave way for effective automation.
Automation Feasibility Checklist (AFC):
Automation Feasibility Checklist is used to identify whether the manual test case is feasible for automation or not. The following are the criteria to determine the automation feasibility of the test cases:
- Detailed Test steps
- Test Data availability
- Expected results
- Meagre Application Knowledge
- Subject Matter Expert’s (SME) support
- Duplication of test steps
- Availability of multiple sets of data
Snapshot of AFC
Benefits of Automation Feasibility Checklist:
- Reduces the Manual execution effort.
- Improves Automation efficiency.
- Helps to derive effective Manual test cases.
- Control and avoid risks in Automation.