In general Low Cost Business Intelligence (BI) gets associated with two terms Open Source BI and Small Medium Enterprise (SME).
Not just SME companies look for Low Cost BI Solution, even large Enterprises look at low cost BI solution for certain business functions. Also not always low cost BI solution need to be built using Open Source BI, there are other alternatives that can be evaluated.
The cost of a BI solution gets impacted by multiple parameters like cost of software, cost of hardware, cost to implement, time to implement, cost to maintain and other factors. Let us look at one of the key parameter, the cost of the software that delivers a BI solution. Some of the low cost BI software options include
- MicroStrategy Reporting Suite is free with 1 CPU limit, up to 100 named user, no limit on usage days.…can be tried for free http://www.microstrategy.com/freereportingsoftware/
- The popular tools SSRS and SSAS that helps setup the base for BI come along with Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/business-intelligence.aspx
SAAS (Software As A Service) BI, is a good option to look for at a lower capital cost with a monthly or per user pricing model. Some of the SAAS BI tools are
- BIRST http://www.birst.com/products/tech-overview.shtml
- GoodData http://www.gooddata.com/technology/platform/
- BirtOnDemand https://www.birtondemand.com/bod/home/ is another recent SAAS BI from Actuate, supports Mobile BI as well
Low Cost Editions, BI software with limited features are available. Some of these which can be implemented in an ‘on premise’ model are
- IBM Cognos Express http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/products/cognos-express/
- SAP Business Objects Edge BI http://www1.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sme/edgeseries/edge-bi/index.epx
Thanks for reading, let me know your thoughts on the Low Cost BI Options…